Wednesday 1 August 2007

OpenOffice

I don't have Microsoft Office on my current computer, and I've been using the free OpenOffice suite in its place. I don't use it heavily, but I maintain a number of small files using mainly OpenOffice Writer (the equivalent of MS Word). Until now, it's seemed to work well enough, though it's not 100% compatible with MS Word.

Today I was adding to one of these files, which consists of a multi-column table, when I suddenly realized that the last column was missing. I haven't deleted that column; it's just inexplicably disappeared.

I'm deeply shocked. A program that can lightly throw my data away isn't a program I can trust in future. I'll have to migrate my OpenOffice files to some other program and write it out of my future plans. What a nuisance. Especially as I strongly dislike Microsoft.

No comments: